Thursday, August 11, 2011

cooking with kids

breaking eggs for cookies on a stick
Cooking with children can be fun and also make you see the joy in making something all your own. I've never really been a person who follows recipes verbatim. 1) it's boring to me and 2) I don't have the patience to do it exactly as it appears. I was the kid who never read the directions fully on an assignment. I guess that's good because it's made me creative by having to create what I wanted and also to think critically in what needed to be done in order for it to turn out halfway decent. We're always talking about critical thinking as teachers, so there you go. The students who don't follow directions aren't all bad.

I'm not sure what type of person my daughter will be. She seems very methodical and careful in what she does, unlike me who breaks something at least every week, but for sure she does like to cook. That's a good thing. Even though we're using eggs here, I try to replace it with a banana and for butter I replace it with applesauce. A month ago I made vegan cookies by Bethenny Frankel (Real Housewives of New York) with just bananas and applesauce, and it actually turned out well.


Rich Chocolate Vegan Cupcakes Ingredients

Source: vegancupcakerecipes.com
source noshtopia.com


* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 3 tablespoons Vegan Margarine, soft
* 1 1/2 cups white sugar
* 1/4 c soy yogurt

* 1/4 c sweet potatoe baby food
* 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

* 1 cup milk
1 1/3 c flour
1 1/2 c Organic Unbleached Sugar
3/4 c Cocoa powder
3 t Vegan Margarine, soft
1/4 ts Baking powder
1/8 ts Salt
2/3 c Vegetable oil
1 t Vanilla

1 c Chocolate Soy milk

Pre-heat oven to 350F.
Mix wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients and mix well.
Fill muffin tins
 with batter.
Bake 15-17 min. or until a wooden pick inserted in the batter part comes out clean.
Remove from pan and cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BeatnikkiBlog loves comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...