Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The way we see ourselves

Jennifer Hudson in Self:
"I didn't even know I was considered plus-sized until I came to Hollywood. I thought I was the perfect size! (Then I was asked) ‘How does it feel to be plus-sized in Hollywood?' I looked around, like, Who is she talking to? Oh, me? I'm plus-sized? In the neighborhood I'm from in Chicago, a 16 is normal. But in Hollywood, everyone looks exactly the same, so I stood out. (When I got pregnant) I thought, hold on – why doesn't anybody know I'm pregnant? And I wanted to set a good example for my son.” 
it's interesting how the way we see ourselves changes from our environment. I wonder if we all have distorted views of ourselves. Would I look at myself differently if I lived somewhere else, say Wisconsin where I grew up? But I wonder how those size-16 girls view her aside from her fame? For each inch or pound that I lose, I guess I do look at myself differently and others probably do too. I overheard a overweight woman at our hotel this weekend berating her husband for eating "healthy" cereal. Misery loves company, I guess. She should celebrate, and as I look back I am very proud of my weightloss so far and all the hardwork I put in, so I just hope that's what JHud is referring to when she says she is more proud of her weight loss than oscar, and it's not a thin = better mentality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

BeatnikkiBlog loves comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...