Monday, August 27, 2012

Literary Fashion: Miranda July

Literary Fashion: Miranda July



Michael Kors jewelry / Mimco resin jewelry, $73 / Links of London silver jewelry, $55 / Links of London silver jewelry, $55 / Essie nail polish, $16


Miranda July has always been one of my favorite writers. I love her short stories and movies. I was first introduced to her with her movie Me and You and Everyone We Know.  Then I read her short story collection "No One Belongs Here More Than You".

First of all, I love her titles. In graduate school I wrote a collection of short stories titled Disconnected Stories, and all my titles were quirky like hers; for example,  "Wish I knew What You Were Looking For" based off an 80s song title. She is not afraid of long titles! Anyway, I love her quiet, quirky sense of humor and intuitive sense of people. She also includes people and moments in life that we're too afraid to write about or don't take the time to think about.

She's definitely one to check out. If you're looking for something current, check out her new book It Chooses You and recent movie The Future. Here's an excerpt at The New Yorker of her book It Chooses You here

No comments:

Post a Comment

BeatnikkiBlog loves comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...