Monday, July 25, 2011

Training for a Race?

Today I ran 5 miles on the treadmill. I've been getting bored with running, so I am now using the training buttons. Apparently when "someone" else tells me to do something, I feel more accountable. So when the treadmill tells me I have to run at 5.6 mph, well then I have to. Little did I know that I'd actually enjoy it. The time goes faster, I'm more engaged and I burn more calories.


In case you're wondering about my current running plan, I run the weight loss program two times at 28 minutes each. I run the lower interval at a 1.5 incline and then when the incline goes up to 3, I mall walk at 4.5 mph.


Here are some tips from Bellin for training....


TRAINING TIPS

Warm-Up

Always include a 3-5 minute warm-up before your training to activate your muscles. This can include walking, jogging or dynamic warm-up exercises.

Interval Training

Remember, duration is more important than intensity. If you have a hard time running the recommended times/distances, try intervals of running and walking.
For example, run for 3 minutes and then walk for 1 minute. Repeat until you reach the desired time/distance. Each week, increase your run time by 1 minute. Work toward a 10-minute run with a 1-minute walk break. Then move to running without breaks.

Cool Down and Stretching

Cool down by walking and/or stretching. Post-activity stretching will help realign your muscles, improve flexibility and reduce muscle soreness. A total body stretching routine is optimal.
  • Stretching should be pain free and relaxing
  • Do not bounce when stretching
  • Hold each stretch for 20-30 seconds
  • Use of a foam roller may enhance recovery

Fluid Replacement

Rehydrate before, during and after each training session. Fluids prevent dehydration and allow the body to perform efficiently. Water is preferred.
  • Drink 3-4 cups, 2-4 hours before activity
  • Drink 2 cups, 1 hour before activity
  • Drink during training as tolerated, and after training until satisfied
  • Drink 10-12 cups daily during training

Cross Training

Incorporate cross training into your routine. Recommended cross training includes biking, rowing or weightlifting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BeatnikkiBlog loves comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...