Monday, August 1, 2011

Plateau Schmateau

Plateauing in weight loss is spoken about often, but I never really knew what it was. It sounds very scientific, and it seems to be somewhat when you're body is changing and needs more, but it seems largely to do to effort. Whether you start working out or eating better or less, there is a time--like the 7-year itch in marriage--where you put in less effort, let things slip, get sick of the monotony or get in a rut.


Well, I started to plateau in the last few weeks where I was cutting corners in not running as much, snacking a little more and eating bites here and there that I wasn't tracking. And I wondered why the scale wasn't going down. On weightwatchers.com there were a few articles about plateaus but consensus still seems to be it can't quite be explained other than you need to step up your game to continue seeing results.


workout gear makes all the difference
So since last week I have been doing intervals on the treadmill, allowing me to run longer, with more resistance and run faster in intervals. I am also eating less throughout the day and eating smarter. I love granola, and even though it's good for you, it does have a lot of fat (1/2 cup is 5 WW points). But because it's good for you I thought it was fine to eat all I want. Apparently that's what I need to learn in this healthy living journey. Stepping it up has helped a bit, but of course I want to get to the finish line right now. I have to remember the saying, "it's a marathon, not a sprint" and picking up these good habits lasts a lifetime. What does help in not getting too impatient is that once I do reach my goal, I have to come up with a new plan of now maintaining and being happy with a new me. I'm so focused on getting there, but what happens when I actually get there? This weight loss/fitness journey has definitely taught me more about myself and is not just about losing weight or looking good. It's also gaining confidence and taking charge of my life. I'm a lot stronger and resilient than I thought I was. And that has made this all worthwhile! When I go through another plateau, I know now what to do and how to kick it up a notch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BeatnikkiBlog loves comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...